Subtitles/ Closed Captions are one of the best features of Smart TVs. Subtitles are very helpful as with the help of a deaf, or people who are hard-of-hearing can also enjoy the entertainment platform. It is also beneficial for us to understand dialogues and actions if the audio is hard to hear and watch a movie from some other language.
But sometimes we are getting disappointed with the subtitles if they are coming on an entertainment channel or movie which is already understood to us. Moreover, it will depend on the user as to whether he/she wants subtitles or not on the display screen. Many people don’t know how to turn on the subtitles or turn off them again. And this article will help you to understand how to turn on/off subtitles on Roku TV.
Read More: How to Watch Apple TV on Roku in 2021
Steps to Turn On/Off Subtitles or closed captions on Roku TV
- From your Roku remote press the HOME button.
- Press the down arrow on the remote and go to the settings option.
- By using the arrow buttons select Accessibility, then Captions. If accessibility is not mentioned directly, move to Captions.
- Press the right arrow button and select Captions Mode
- There are three options available to you
- Off – By selecting this option captions will never appear which means turned off.
- On always — By selecting this caption will always appear. Here closed captions are activated within the channel when service providers use their own settings.
- On replay – By selecting this option captions are only appearing when you press the replay button from your Roku remote.
If you use closed captioning for the channels, there are also settings available on your device to turn on or off during playback. But these features are not available for all channels, you can have the option to turn your subtitles on or off while watching a show or movie only for some channels. So below mentioned are the steps for which you go through:
- During playback, press the start button * on your Roku remote. It will open the OPTIONS menu.
- Use the arrow buttons and select Closed Captioning.
- Now you can choose from the options available to you for captions:
- Off – Select this to turn off the subtitles
- On – Select this to enable the Subtitles
- On Replay – Select this if you want to display subtitles only after pressing the Replay Button.
- On Mute – Select this if you want the subtitles on when the volume is muted. This option may be available to some devices of Roku Only.
If you don’t like the closed captions as they appear. You can customize the closed captions style settings like the text format, background, and window also by using your remote. Let’s take a look at the steps:
Read More: How to Activate Fox Sports on Roku in 2021
How to do the customization in subtitles or Closed Captions.
- From your remote, press the Home button
- Navigate to the settings tab using your remote arrow keys.
- Select the Accessibility options, then Caption Style. NOTE: In some device’s accessibility option is not available so you can select the Captions option.
- Now you can choose the Captions style according to your taste:
- Here you can adjust TEXT – style/ edge effect/ size/ color/ opacity
- You can also change the BACKGROUND and WINDOW color and opacity.
Read More: How to Activate NBC on Roku in 2021
So, here’s the complete step-by-step guide to turn on or off the subtitles/ Closed captions of Roku TV. Many users have faced the problem that when they plugged in a microphone, subtitles automatically appear on the screen. If they want to permanently opt-out from this problem you can correct it by clearing the Roku’s Cache or by resetting your Roku Device. So, I hope you will find this article useful. And maybe able to solve your query.
You may also like: