Are you new to Instagram? Or finding it difficult, to use the Instagram features. Don’t worry; today we are here with our Complete Instagram Guide.
In this guide, we will take you through the Instagram Journey, and discuss What is Instagram? Moving further we will talk about Instagram’s posts and stories? and of course, how are you going to post on Instagram and share your Instagram stories too?
So be with us till the end of this simple guide.
A Complete Guide for Beginners on Instagram
Introduction – Instagram’s Journey
Instagram is amongst one of the best social networking platforms owned by Facebook. Instagram also called IG or Insta is a Photo and Video sharing mobile app. Though, it was not Facebook who created this App.
It was Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger who created this mobile app. Initially, this app is developed solely for iOS. But in the Year 2012, a new Android version was also launched. The launch is a success, with over one million downloads in less than a day. Later on, a very basic Instagram webpage is also launched.
Facebook seeing a clear business opportunity bought Instagram at a whopping $1 billion. Yes, and Facebook is right, Instagram’s userbase increased from 1 million to 1 billion in just 10 years.
This is just a brief introduction, a little journey of the Instagram app. To keep you with us we have to keep it small by not including the seed funding, A Series round happened before Facebook.
Let’s quickly jump into our main sections.
Read More: The Top 25 Most Followed Instagram Accounts
What is Instagram?
Instagram is a mobile-first social media app developed to share Pictures and Videos with followers. Your followers can like, tag persons, download images, send private messages, comment on posts, and share posts to their own wall. Yes, you can also do all of that for any of the posts from which you are following too.
This app is available for both iOS and Android. There is also a web version available, but that is just for the sake of web presence. You cannot do much on that. So it is better to use Instagram on your Smartphone only.
If you are new then our next section will help you set up your new Instagram Account.
Read More: Why Your Business Should Be on Instagram
Setting up an Instagram Account
Like the other social media platforms, you do require an account to access Instagram. Using your Facebook account is as simple as you can do to get started with Instagram. Follow the below steps to set up your Instagram Account with Facebook.
- Connect to Wifi or switch on your Mobile Data for internet access.
- Click on Instagram Icon to launch the Application from Application Dock.
- To use the same Facebook id, which you already logged in, click on Continue as xxx (Facebook’s Username). You will be then directed to your Instagram Profile. Add or update your Instagram profile details there.
- In case you do not wants to use your Facebook id to login in, then Click on Sign up with Email Address or Phone Number under Continue as xxx Button.
- A new sign-up window will be open, choose, either Phone Number or Email address Tab under the big circle profile shape. Enter your Phone Number or Email Address in the Text Box and click on Next.
- On the next windows fill out your username, passwords, complete your profile information, keep clicking next and on the last window click on Done.
That’s how simple it is to create your account on Instagram. Lets us move further and take a look at how to post on Instagram?
How to Post on Instagram?
This section is the only section that makes this guide complete. Without learning, how to post on Instagram? One cannot enjoy the full features and benefits of Instagram’s Social Media platform.
Simply, follow these steps to post on your Instagram feed.
- Launch your Instagram by clicking on Instagram Icon from your Application Dock.
- If logging in the first time, click Continue as xxx(Facebook ID) to access your profile or
- Click on Log in Link at the bottom of the screen, enter your login Id (username, phone number, or email id) and Password, and click on the Login to access your profile
- Tap the + Plus icon at the bottom menu bar of your Instagram Home Screen.
- A prompt will pops up, asking to allow Instagram to access media, photos, and files, click Allow.
- A new window New Post will slide in. Keep in mind; you can share both Picture and Video right from the device or by capturing one. and you must have to include either type of media in your post.
- Slide up to open the Gallery (Camera roll) to select a picture or video or click on Camera Icon just above the Gallery to capture a picture or video to upload to your Instagram post.
- You can also select multiple pictures (up to 10) for a caraousel post.
- Once you have selected the Picture or Video click on the -> Right Arrow key at the top right corner of the screen.
- You can also preview the picture before clicking next and if required pinch in or out to crop the image.
- After Clicking Next you will be taken to the Filter and Edit window.
- In Filter Mode you can have up to 40 different filters you can select from. (Select from 23 filters by sliding right, and the balance filter can be accessed by clicking Manage at the end of the filter list).
- In Edit Mode you can resize and rotate pictures, increase or decrease Brightness and Contrast, Set Structure, Warmth, Saturation colors, etc. by sliding right the menu.
- After editing the Picture or video click on the -> Right Arrow key at the top right corner of the screen.
- After clicking Next a new window will appear asking for the Caption, Tag People, Add Location. From here you also have the option to share your post directly to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
- You can also go to the advance setting to disable comments on your post (by default it is disabled) select to enable it. Can select to automatically share all your Instagram posts to Facebook. Select Facebook Audience, who can see the post or who cannot. Can Add alt texts to the posts, which can help people with visual impairments.
- After entering the caption, tagging people, and selecting the other settings, click on Tick Mark at Top right corner of the Instagram Screen.
- And your post will be posted to Instagram Feed.
This can’t be so simple at all. But here it is, Instagram is so user-friendly that just following the above steps; you will be able to share your posts easily. Besides Posts, you can also share Story on Instagram too.
Lets us look into how we can share Instagram Stories.
How to post an Instagram Story?
Before we jump into how to post an Instagram Story? Let me give you a brief introduction about Instagram Stories.
This feature is added to Instagram in August 2016 and since then more than 500 million users are using stories daily. The best thing about the story is that they can be accessed right from the top bar above your Insta feed. Not like posts that got piled up by new posts and other’s posts.
All the content you shared on your story will last 24 hours and played from oldest to newest.
In the post, you have to scroll down to that point where you have seen it.
Posting stories is not rocket science. Following up our simple step-by-step guidelines below, you will easily be able to start posting it easily.
- Launch your Instagram by taping the Instagram icon from Application Dock.
- Log in to your Instagram (follow steps covered above in Posting in Instagram above)
- To create Instagram stories you have two options. Either swipe right to open your Instagram Story mode or Click on the + icon at the bottom of the screen. Slide to Story from the below menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Either way, the Story mode will open up.
- Create a Story by Clicking on Aa Create Button at the left of the screen or click on a big white circle to capture a picture or click and hold to record videos at the bottom of the screen. Swipe this button for more screen filters. You can also upload pictures or videos to your story by swiping up from the camera roll (Gallery). After Capturing the story you will be in Story edit mode.
- In the Story edit mode, you can use filters, Download your Story, add some cool stuff like Stickers, Texts, Polls, etc widgets, do hands-free drawing, Change Story Background. Access all the options by clicking the respective buttons at the top of the screen.
- Once you have perfected your story, click on Send to at the below of the screen and select whether you want to share on Your Story or want to show to some friends only. To share your story click on Share Button.
Voila, your Instagram Stories is shared. See, how simple it is to share Instagram Stories too.
In the first section of this Guide, we have seen who has created Instagram and how Facebook bought Instagram at a whopping $1 Billion to increase its hold in the Social Media market.
Later on, we have covered a brief Instagram Introduction.
Moving on with the Guide, a step-by-step section has been given on how to create an Instagram Account. Which followed by the section How to post on Instagram? and How to Post an Instagram Stories?
We have kept the language of this article simple for a better understanding of the content. This Guide is completely based on the latest Instagram Updates, but it may happen at the time of your reading there may some updates that can be found. But don’t worry, we will take care of Application updates and update our articles too.
In case of any doubt or suggestion, comment in our below section. We will analyze and revert with the best possible solution.