Sometimes you need to find the IP address of your router which is given by your ISP. Finding this address is easy when you know where they are, what they are, and how it looks. You cannot find the Networks and Internet by the names you give to them (even your smartphones also). Computers use numbers that are used as identifiers and are called IP addresses.
IP-Internet Protocol, we know its complete form, it is a part of Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. TCP or IP is commonly used for communication by all networks. But in terms of computers, several IP addresses are used here. The language that computers usually use to communicate over the Internet is called the IP address of the router.
The router has this IP address which is generally assigned by the internet service provider (ISP). From the computer to the internet all traffic is handled by a router. Whenever an IP address is requested from the router, the website will only see the request. It is because the router knows how to receive or send the information from or to the computer, and so that it is called a router.
Each internal network has its own IP address whether it is WIFI or Home, at your office, or in the home. Usually, all networks have their IP address assigned by their routers, and in this way, all the nodes communicate on the internal network. DHCP – Dynamic Host Control Protocol is used by the routers for assigning IP addresses.
There are usually two types of IP addresses; Internal / Local IP and External / Public IP. The ISP provides the public IP address for recognizing your internet network. In things like setting up your printers, or solving technical problems you need a local IP address. But whenever your problem is not your own network, it means the issue is out there on the network its important for you to get the IP address for troubleshooting.
Find out the Public IP address
Nowadays, there are many tools available to identify your Public IP address. And the easiest way to do this is using a free online tool like HMA’s IP Checker. This tool quickly tells you your location, ISP, and IP address. If you do not want to use such a tool you can also find your public IP address using Google Search.
Simply open Google and type “What is my IP address” the search engine shows you the IP address but it would not tell the location or ISP.
Find out your local IP address on Windows
It is easy to find the IP address of your local network which is assigned by your router. The steps for finding out the IP address depending on which version of windows you are using.
Finding local IP address in Windows 10
- On the lower-left corner of your screen, you will see a windows icon, click on this and select settings.
In this windows setting menu, click on Network & Internet option.
- On the left side of the screen, you will see a Wi-Fi or Ethernet option in the Network and Internet section. If you are connected to the internet wirelessly, it shows WIFI and if you are connecting the internet to the PC via ethernet cable, it shows Ethernet.
- Now, click on the Network in the center, you will see the IP address will have appeared on the screen in the properties section under the IPv4 address head.
Read More: How to Get Someone’s IP from Discord?
Finding local IP address in Windows 8/8.1
- On the windows screen, click on the Network connection icon then select Open Network and Sharing System.
- Now, you will see here either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection, click on it.
- Finally, click on Details, you will see your IP address here.
Finding local IP address in Windows 7
- On the windows screen, click on the Network connection icon then select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the Details, your IP address is visible here.
Finding local IP address in Windows Vista
- Click on the Windows start menu and right-click on the “Network” option.
- Click on Properties – View Status at the right side of either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection.
- Now click on Details, and look for the IP address in the new Window.
Finding local IP address in Windows XP
- Click on the Windows Start menu on the screen, now select My Network Places.
- Click on Properties then you will see a screen of Network connections.
- Now, you will see here either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection, double – click on it.
- Launch the Support tab and click on Details, your IP address will be visible here.
Read More: Ways to Fix Call Failure on your Phone
Finding local IP address using command prompt (CMD)
- Open the start menu of the windows and type cmd in the search box, if you do not see the search box here click on the Run option.
- Now in the Run box or Command prompt, type “ipconfig”. A screen will appear here with a lot of network options in which you will see the IP address.
Finding local IP address on Mac
- Open the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Now click on the View tab and select Network or you can also double click on the Network icon in the System Preferences window.
- If you have an Ethernet connection your IP address will be shown here.
- If you have a WIFI connection, click on Advanced in the lower right corner then the TCP / IP button on the top of the Window. You can see your IP address here.
Knowing your IP address is a simple task if you know the steps. In this post, we will describe how to find the IP address on a different version of Windows as well as Mac.
I hope you will find this post useful and now know how to find out the local IP address and the Public IP address on the PC.
You may also like: